[Ansteorra] Hard hitters (was Re: Armor inspections at GulfWars)

Richard Morgan rmorgan at satx.rr.com
Tue Mar 27 19:31:48 PDT 2007

Well Sir Corwin there are several things to think about. First we adopted
the lighter face thrust after allowing fiberglass spears, to compensate for
the occasional overzealous thrust that led to the term  Pezzed being used
way too frequently. Next rattan flexes and gives a little, fiberglass does
not. Yes I know that's the cool thing about it. However it is the only
approved weapon that I can't armor up for, against getting hurt from, short
of plate. The ONLY safety control is the training and restraint of my
opponent. Therefore I have no control over my safety short of wearing plate,
or just not fighting against fiberglass with people I don't know and trust.
This is unique among our weapons. Thirdly it is one of the reasons that I no
longer go to wars. At 6'4" (my head sticks up above the crowd), 320 lb (one
hell of a lot of weight to lift with a few cervical vertebrae),  a white
belt (target) and only one good eye (ergo absolutely no depth perception,
that means I cant see it coming) it just isn't fun anymore. My head gets hit
so hard that my spine goes crack and I get lifted up into the air and
knocked back about five feet landing on my head; and that's  just standing
still, it's worse if I get a stop thrust while trying to chase someone down.
With rattan I may still get knocked down but I don't have that sharp crack
to the neck, it gives a more gradual lifting. I don't see stars and black
out for a second either. I am truly concerned that someone is eventually
going to receive a broken neck instead of just being knocked out. Finally
rattan allows the user to thrust with more marshal skill and speed that is
closer to reality with much less chance of inflicting real injury. Paralysis
or death is just a little too tough for me.

Sir Richard ap Morgan