[Ansteorra] Carving Ivory

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Mar 27 21:08:39 PDT 2007

On Mar 27, 2007, at 5:44 PM, HE Chiang wrote:

> Last I heard was, that walrus ivory could be bought so long as it
> had been
> worked by Native Americans in that area, read Eskimos. Hence the small
> amount of art work on the ivory the dentist bought. I have not kept
> up with
> it much since I tend not to use such fragile handle materials in
> the knives
> that I make, much rather use the synthetic stuff.
> Chiang

This matches my understanding of the subject as well.

For a bit more on ivory, ivory carving and ivory substitutes, check
these files in the CRAFTS section of the Florilegium:

ivory-bib         (10K)  1/ 4/99    Bibliography of medieval ivory
carving by
                                        Mary Haselbauer (Slaine).
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/ivory-bib.html
ivory-msg         (77K)  7/30/04    Ivory carving. ivory substitutes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/ivory-msg.html

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas