[Ansteorra] The Tudors on yahoo

Elizabeth Crouchet elizabeth at crouchet.com
Thu Mar 29 10:46:58 PDT 2007

I saw the first two episodes on line and I enjoyed them. They seem like
a plausible version of events.

The costuming is good though there are some problems. They never wear
enough hat or hats! The womens' hair should be covered by a veil in back
of those headresses or dressed up on the head like More's wife wore it.

 And notice when they arrested Gloucester for treason that it was cold,
all wore coats and no one wore a hat? They even looked like their ears
were cold.

It was because of the weather at the time, a little colder than now and
much more so than in this part of the country, where we get the idea
that their heads were always covered and why TRF made us all wear a hat
or something. It really had to do with the weather and not just etiquette.

I am also not sure that the time period of the costumes matches the time
period of the story but all of it seemed appropriate to SCA time periods
anyway and  often accurate within a single outfit. I do not believe the
dresses ever actually were designed to ride off the shoulder or had
short sleeves. But great use of fabrics and colors and the styles seem
generally true, at least in silouette. And good use of jewels, too.

I really like what the French assassins wore, armor and all. Too bad
they were the bad guys; they looked great.

Just my first impressions,

Claire