[Ansteorra] Recipe for ....

gail young gwynethb63 at yahoo.com
Fri May 4 06:08:32 PDT 2007

yea..what he said.
  LOL
  gwyneth

Michael Gunter <countgunthar at hotmail.com> wrote:
  >Sweet saffron wafers? I found a reference to them in an
>answers.comarticle, and wondered if anyone had every made some, and if
>it was according
>to any medieval/renaissance recipe.
>
>Jean Paul

Being at work I don't have access to my books but I'll offer
an opinion.
Wafres were pretty much a constant companion of the evening
meal throughout Europe. They were made with a thin batter,
often including wine, and fried thin and crisp between two metal
plates.
Wafres could be savory or sweet with additions of soft cheese,
herbs, spices and often topped with a sweet powder mixture.

Making sweet wafres with saffron is definately probable since
saffron was very common for color and flavor and would give
the wafres a golden color.

I'd have to see the recipe to make a better assumption and
would need to go through my files at home to try to find the
period version. But, with what I've been given, I would have to
say they are period.

Gunthar