[Ansteorra] Vigils for White Scarves

Lori Campbell countesskat at yahoo.com
Tue May 8 10:07:26 PDT 2007

> I can see why a vigil has become synonymous with "elevation to
> peerage," but I still don't see that it need be so.
> En Lyonel

I tend to agree. From what you and others have mentioned, and from what
I read once-upon-a-time, the "vigil" we've come to associate with SCA
peerages isn't really anything like a period vigil - more like a party
where everyone comes to celebrate, eat (sometimes) and to offer advice
to the person soon to be elevated.  While parties are fun :) and while
I don't see the offering of advice as a bad thing (I know I got some
excellent advice at mine that I still carry with me to this day) I
don't think the word "vigil" should be
SCA-sacred-reserved-only-for-peerages... As HE Xene mentioned before,
anyone can set aside a time for prayer and contemplation.

~ Kat M.