[Ansteorra] Fw: [Burkhaven] bad stuff here in the east

DonnelShaw at aol.com DonnelShaw at aol.com
Sat May 12 20:24:03 PDT 2007

In a message dated 5/12/2007 9:03:03 PM Central Daylight Time,
dontivar at gmail.com writes:

At 08:50  AM 5/12/2007, you wrote:
>Sadly, that's been all over the news this  week
>
>http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/05-08-
2007/0004583036&EDATE=

As  I recall, from discussions of this issue on the Rialto, back when
the  story first broke, the actual assaults happened at non-SCA
events; the  predator just used the SCA as his "hunting ground" as it were.

Reading  through the news article, it appers to *me* that the parents
are suing the  SCA because it's got deeper pockets than the
predator--sort of like suing  the gun manufacturer because you got
shot by a robber--rather than  accepting the fact that both they and
the SCA were duped by this predator.  Looking at the website of the
law firm that is representing the abused  kids, the phrase "ambulance
chasers" keeps coming to mind.

-Tivar Moondragon

It is very sad but please remember that here in Ansteorra that we have  built
into our programs the idea that parents are to be an active part of  the
program. The MOC programs asks that parents also sign up and give part of  their
day to help supervise and or instruct the activities their child attends.  In
Youth Combat heavy and light it is required that a parent or an  appointed
adult with all appropriate paperwork with them from the parent is with  that
child. In children's archery they must have a parent with them to  participate as
well.

This was designed with great care and thought because most of those  working
on these programs have worked with children for years and understand  about
the importance of safety with our children. If we have the parents right  there
it not only fosters that bond between the parent and child it also gives  an
extra layer of safety to the program and insures that the parent is actively
monitoring the situation and the safely of their own child as well as the other
 children.

I would encourage all to continue to support your children in their
activities and find renewed determinations be there for them.

In remembering the past don't forget the future.

HL Maili  Donnel MacGregor

Faith is believing what the eyes cannot see. ~~~~Michael  of Langley