[Ansteorra] background checks

Lori Campbell countesskat at yahoo.com
Tue May 15 15:31:03 PDT 2007

> Caelin said:
> Let us not get into the situation where we investigate everyone for
> everything.

Ah, but what today's board institutes in moderation, subsequent
generations will allow in excess.  I'm not just being flippant either.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to someday see background checks
required to hold an SCA exchequer’s position (you know, just to make
sure anyone who has ever written a bad check isn’t made a group
treasurer...)

Come to think of it... maybe seneschals should have background checks
too.  I mean, if they can’t obey posted speed limit signs how on earth
can they enforce Kingdom Laws. Oh, and fighters should have background
checks before they get their authorization cards... I mean, if there is
any history of criminal violence in their past they really shouldn’t be
allowed to hit anyone with a stick... And those folks preparing feast?
They need at least a food handler’s license.  And kitchens where we
prepare food
 those need to have passed a recent inspection...

Bleah.

All joking aside, the only thing having corporate execute a 3rd party
background check will accomplish is to cover the corporate backside in
the event of future lawsuits.

A $10 pass/fail check isn't worth the paper it is printed on. Or maybe
it is. What you get for your money is someone else to type that name
into one of the search engines that was just listed for state sex
offender registries. I guess it would prove, at least, that our
organization cared enough to check that registry prior to making
someone a "youth activities" officer.

The only national background check worth anything at all is obtained
thru the FBI database (the only nationwide criminal record database).
Unfortunately it is only available to law enforcement agencies and a
few organizations who have successfully sought legislation for the
right to access it (perhaps Boy Scouts is one).  Even if we were
somehow to find a way to access it, I guarantee it wouldn't be cheap.
Even the OSBI pays for FBI record checks. I think $30 per check was the
last figure I saw, but it might've changed since then. And this is a
real, fingerprint/social security number based check.

Seriously, I'm actually more afraid that the idea corporate is
executing background checks will lull people into a false sense of
security and they won't be as vigilant.  I don't think true predators
need to hold an official SCA office to find vulnerable kids.

~ Kat MacLochlainn