[Ansteorra] background checks

Faelan Caimbeul faelancaimbeul at gmail.com
Wed May 16 09:33:21 PDT 2007

Here's the underlying problem. Sure, the MOC might be safer, but what about
the 600+ other people at the event? I'm just guessing here, but I think the
majority of these sexual predator problems are with people NOT in any
official position; the guy on the internet, the guy on the street, the guy
who snatches kids from schools, the weirdo at the game arcade, the trusted
family member or family friend . . . My point is we can do all the
background checks, investigations and anal probes of people we want and it
probably won't make any difference. As many have said already, sexual
predators, like serial killers and drug dealers, don't wear an ID badge and
are certainly not going to submit to any check, of any kind. This is why the
law enforcement has such a hard time finding them, and admits they probably
can't catch most of them (among other reasons I shant get into).

A great number of people, who are perfectly honest, would be offended and/or
feel violated at the mear mention taking such a check from people they
consider their friends. I really think the whole idea will cause FAR more
problems than it solves. Fear and paranoia can rip a society appart faster
than anything.

I think the best solution is still to be wary. Protect your children,
protect those around you, by paying attention and being vigilant. In the
end, it's the only real defense/assurance any of us have from harm of any
kind. Can't we all just watch each other's backs and get along?

Faelan