[Ansteorra] Bad things

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Thu May 17 05:15:44 PDT 2007

At 04:19 PM 5/16/2007, you wrote:

>Please forgive the cynicisim of this response, but if a parent has a million
>other things to do, and their child is fairly young, and the adult has no
>time, perhaps they should find a babysitter and leave the child at home...?

We very rarely left the kids with a babysitter. What better way to
make sure the kid *isn't* interested in the SCA when they grow up?

On the one hand, people need to realize that having kids will change
their priorities. You can't both stay out half the night drinking and
partying if you have a six month old baby on-site (unless one parent
stays out the first half of the night, and the other parent stays out
the other half <G>) you *will* have to make some sacrifices.

But on the other hand, there are an awful lot of things you can still
bring the kids along for. I've served quite a few feasts with a kid
in a backpack, not to mention things like site-prep and cleanup (baby
Robert thought Daddy chopping down trees while he rode in the
backpack was great fun, for example.) And slightly bigger kids love
to be included in the "adult" dances and bardic circles, or helping
to serve feasts.

         -Tivar Moondragon