[Ansteorra] Vigils for White Scarves

Sir Morgan Buchanan morganbuchanan at hotmail.com
Tue May 8 06:28:28 PDT 2007

---- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Zakes" <dontivar at gmail.com>

> Well, yes-and-no. In the Ansteorran Order of Precedence, a White
> Scarf has the same rank as a Centurion, an Iris, a Star of Merit and
> an Arc d'Or. In reality, since the Centurion (armored combat) the
> Iris (A&S) and the Star of Merit (service) all have higher-level
> awards available, they don't tend to have quite as much prestige as
> the White Scarf or the Arc d'Or.
>
> And since the White Scarf has been around for 28 years and is now
> used in 12 different kingdoms, it does tend to have quite a bit of
> prestige. But if a group of people were lining up in precedence
> order, baby-Don Pointjock who got his White Scarf two weeks ago,
> would still line up behind Gilli, who got his Arc d'Or, Iris and Star
> years ago.
>
>         -Tivar Moondragon

Thank God we live in a kingdom where a person is judged on their individual
actions, and orders are judged by the actions of their members rather than
simply on their precedence.  I believe it was Geoffroi de Charney who said,
and I may be paraphrasing, "He who does more is more worthy."  The greatest
award we have in Ansteorra is the Lion, which carries no precedence.  The
WSA as an order have done fantastic things that, as orders, none of the
other Grant Orders have even come close to doing.  They've not only enriched
our kingdom, but they've enriched the known world.  The WSA as an order are
far too humble to make such a bold statement publicly, so as a member of an
order (Centurions) who haven't approached this level of contribution, please
let me make it.

Morgan