[Ansteorra] Vigils for White Scarves

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Tue May 8 18:59:39 PDT 2007

At 10:29 AM 5/8/2007, you wrote:
>Salut cozyns,
>
>On the matter of vigils for White Scarves, Master Robin dit qe:
>
>>It has happened, but extremely rarely.  Ansgar received his White Scarf at
>>the same event that Cedric received his Laurel, and Cedric asked his friend
>>Ansgar to "share" his vigil.
>>
>>The White Scarf is always in a politically sensitive position, because
>>fencing is looked down on in many kingdoms, and still illegal in one.  We
>>cannot act like we think we're peers, but our responsibilties to the fencing
>>community parallel those of the Chivalry to the fighting community, the
>>Laurels to the arts community, and the Pelicans to the service community.
>>
>>There are knights right next door in our neighbor Gleann Abhann who believe
>>that we are acting like peers because we take students.  Others in other
>>kingdoms think we're getting "above ourselves" because we hold meetings with
>>the Crown.  But we are expected and required to do so.
>>
>>So we need to be especially careful not to look like we're claiming peerage
>>privileges we can avoid.  Vigils are too close for comfort.
>
>Perhaps this is true. I've been surprised by the level of venom
>toward the rapier community in the posts on this topic on the SCA
>Chivalry board. The folks in the West, An Tir, Caid, and Atenveldt
>don't seem to be too concerned about it.
>
>The folks in the Middle and the East appear to be the most harshly
>negative. Several arguments have been leveled from those kingdoms by
>individuals concerned that rapier fighters are gradually attempting
>to coopt ceremonial aspects of the Chivalry.

It's interesting that it's folks from kingdoms that *don't* have the
White Scarf who have the strongest objections, whereas the folks from
kingdoms that do have the White Scarf don't seem to have a problem
with it. It sounds like this is a situation where ignorance *isn't* bliss.

As I understand it, the vigil for the Western White Scarves was
agreed upon jointly by their King (Duke Uther) and the first couple
of Scarves. I'd suggest telling the folks who have a problem with it
to talk to them. To the best of my knowledge there have only been
four White Scarf vigils since the White Scarf was started over 28
years ago. At that rate it should only take until AS 200 or so before
we have the ceremonial aspects of the Chivalry completely coopted. <G>

         -Tivar Moondragon