[Ansteorra] Fw: [Burkhaven] bad stuff here in the east

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Sat May 12 22:22:34 PDT 2007

Though you are right - it is not fair to paint all single men as abusers -
most abusers are single men. Of course, there are several cases where a man
and his wife were both into the abuse.

But even if we don't tar you with the brush because you are a single male,
the two deep rule should still apply. Another adult should be present when
you have kids over. Especially if you don't have kids of your own. I would
want that to protect myself from any claims that might be made. I ran the
training for child protection in a Boy Scout Council with 13 counties when
child protection was just starting up in the BSA. I was looking as much to
how to protect the leaders as the children. The precautions taken are the
same: two deep adults, never be alone with a child not your own, encourage
parents to be present and take an active part, ...

After that training, I looked at many things differently. I had either my
wife or my kids in the car when I took a babysitter home (my kids are 27 and
24, so that was some time ago). When a Scout came into my tent when camping,
I would immediately take him outside where our private conversation would at
least be observed by others. And many more things. Considering the damage
even being accused would do to your life, it is important to make the child
protection rules part of your life, not just in Scouts or the SCA, but all
the time.

In service,
Caelin on Andrede