[Ansteorra] Bad things

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Tue May 15 09:23:56 PDT 2007

This goes to one of my issues. I have talked about this with someone who
works for a company that does primarily employment checks, but also a
criminal background checks. He said for $10 you get someone to enter the
data into a search of online resources and spend less than 5 minutes total
on the report. He said he would not give it a lot of credence. You will also
have a fair number of false positives where the name causes a hit, but a
little research would show the person we are asking about could not be the
person with the bad background (how many John Smiths are there?), but for
$10 you don't get the extra research.

I'm guessing as time goes on we will escalate the search that is done to one
that costs several times this (my contact suggest $100 was a good minimum),
but that is just my opinion.

BTW, the Society Seneschal has said the current intention is to only search
based on criminal sexual activities with minors. Any other nefarious
background would not disqualify an officer and the details of the searches
would not reported to the Society - only the Pass/Fail.

Caelin on Andrede