[Ansteorra] FW: [caermear] Oh, look, another pie

Ronda Melendez rivyn at msn.com
Wed Nov 14 09:08:41 PST 2007

I am going to forward a few recipes that I am getting from the list of my former kingdom of Atlantia and the Barony of Caer Mear.  Thought those of you in the cooking guild will enjoy them.  I plan to try a few myself!

In Service to the Dream, Muriel filia Donaldi de Skia Barony of Bryn-Gwlad Fledgling of House FalconRose Ambassador to Atlantia Member of Academy of St. Gabriel ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
You know you play too much World of Warcraft when you call your child a Gnome.~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

To: caermear at yahoogroups.comFrom: phoenix2me at gmail.comDate: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:12:46 -0500Subject: [caermear] Oh, look, another pie

This one is a little more work but it's really yummy. I should know,I made about a gazillion of them trying to get it right. Plus, it'svery wintery and stuff.Carrot PieDiego Granado, Libro del Arte de Cozina, 1599(Translation Robin Carroll-Mann, redaction Morgaine of Donegal)Torta de ZanahoriaWash and scrape the carrots, and remove them from the water and cookthem in good meat broth, and being cooked remove them and chop themsmall with the knife, adding to them mint and marjoram, and for eachtwo pounds of chopped carrots [use] a pound of Tronchon cheese and apound and a half of buttery Pinto cheese, and six ounces of freshcheese, and one ounce of ground pepper, one ounce of cinnamon, twoounces of candied orange peel cut small, one pound of sugar, eighteggs, three ounces of cow's butter, and from this composition make atorta with pastry above and below, and the tart pan with pastry allaround, and make it cook in the oven, making the crust of sugar,cinnamon, and rosewater. In this manner you can make tortas of allsorts of roots, such as that of parsley, having taken the core out ofthem.1 lb. carrots, peeled and chopped in 2-3" pieces1 tsp mint1 tsp marjoram½ cup turbinado sugar1 tbsp candied ginger, finely minced½ cup orange juice~1/3 lb. parsnips, peeled and chopped in 2-3" piecesTbsp olive oilSalt and pepper3 eggs4 oz. Ricotta2 oz. Parmesan4 oz. Monterey Jack4 oz. MozzerellaPastry for 2-crust pie (preferably made with butter)Cinnamon/sugarRosewaterSimmer carrots in just enough water to cover, along with the mint,marjoram, turbinado sugar, candied ginger, and a splash of orangejuice. Lightly cost parsnips with olive oil and salt and pepper.Roast at 450º for ~25 minutes or until tender and browned.Reduce oven temperature to 325º. Puree carrots and parsnips withricotta in food processor. Add eggs, blend again. Scrape sides downwith a rubber spatula. Add cheeses, process until smooth and uniform.Lay one pastry in pie pan, add filling, cover with second pastry.Trim excess dough, crimp edges, and make a few decorative cuts in thetop crust to release steam. Bake ~45-50 minutes.__._,_.___

 Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required) Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format to Traditional Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

Visit Your Group

Moderator Central
Yahoo! Groups
Join and receive