[Ansteorra] Glaslen SPAM

Rose & Chad love at roseandchad.net
Wed Nov 21 15:16:12 PST 2007

????????

  Maybe I'm not on the same lists (I'm on four or five) but I have never seen exact multiple e-mail on the same list. The ones that I have seen have been the same e-mail to multiple lists that I am on (perfectly acceptable), new information e-mails ('Feast is filling up fast, folks, get your reservations in soon!' and the like), and , occasionally, a short follow-up to a complete advertisement e-mail that says 'Just a reminder, <event name here> is this weekend!', which also seems alright. But I've seen the exact advertisement twice today. (It was possibly sent once last night and once today but I received both today, and I check my e-mail constantly as that is part of my work.)

  Maybe we should e-mail the sender first but in this day and age we ALL know what spam is, and if the sender thought it was spam, they probably wouldn't do it in the first place. If you e-mail them directly, you might just end up with a fight or at least some bad feeling, esp. as most people feel very strongly about spam and the like.

  In the end, what is and is not acceptable on the list is not up to me, but up to the moderator, who may or may not prefer to hear us or for us to seek out the sender. As such, I should not have said anything on the list, and for that, I apologize. So I would really like to know what the moderator prefers that we do in cases such as these, in case it occurs again.

  R The O

  (The following has been left, as I feel it's important to read to understand some of what I have written. The rest has been cropped.)

Elizabeth Blackthorne <eblackthorne at gmail.com> wrote:
  I have only seen the missives about once per week. To me that is
acceptable. It's a reminder that this is coming up and start
planning. We all spam the lists for our events, my rule is once a
month till in the event month, then once per week. I do it on our
local list when deadlines are approaching, what's wrong with saying an
event is approaching? Sometimes I see an event and go that looks like fun, then I space out. If another post comes along to remind me that i wanted to go, what's the problem. I wish I could go to the event in question, It looks like fun. So what if it is the same message being
re-sent--Who Cares. I see all kinds of posts over and over and not
just event ads, sometimes it's official SCA stuff from BOD or Kingdom.
They go out when they need bids for events. Spam the lists...I plan
to for our next event