[Ansteorra] Latin Help

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Nov 21 16:46:05 PST 2007

On Nov 21, 2007, at 11:09 AM, Refr inn draumspaki wrote:

> I have been looking around and rescarching latin so I can put my
> english moto in to latin and need to know if I did it right, so far
> I have come up with "Haud Defluo Addo" If my I am right that should
> translate to "No Lost Cause" but I would like to check before
> tooling this in to my leather. Feel free to let me know if I need
> to change anything.
>
> In Service to the People,
> Refr inn draumspaki (Fox)
> Talon of House FalconRose
> "Haud Defluo Addo"

A lot things do not translate directly into Latin and vice-versa.

I would recommend running your motto past Mistress Gunnora. As far as
I know, she is not on this list although she can be reached at
gunnora at vikinganswerlady.com

She requests that folks take a look at these two files in the
HERALDRY section of the Florilegium first, to make sure she hasn't
already translated your motto. She also often gives information on
why a motto doesn't translate literally or you may find a similar
motto there that needs only a little change for you get what you
want. So you can learn a fair amount just browsing these files.

mottoes1-msg     (113K) 10/25/00    Latin mottoes for SCA use.
mottoes2-msg      (80K) 10/25/00    More Latin mottoes and phrases.

Also, please remember that she does this on a volunteer basis and has
other commitments, so it may take her a few days or more to get
around to researching and answering your question.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com