[Ansteorra] SCA Vocabulary

Rose & Chad love at roseandchad.net
Sun Nov 11 15:52:58 PST 2007

Yes, I thought it was a 'Pay the troll under the bridge.' kind of thing myself.

  Also, I always used the SCA-traditional terms because they seemed to encompass all times and areas. I'm not sure, not having done the appropriate reasearch (Yet anyway, this is really interesting.) but I doubt that 'steward' was used in all times and places throughtout history, especially when you thorw in all of those neat middle eastern and asiatic personas. I seem to remember seeing other terms in non-vocaublary related research, including 'chatelain' (or 'chatelaine' for women), or perhaps 'castellan' although that seems to suggest a castle, and I believe that the SCA uses that term for some kind of award, so the two would clash...

  Now I'm off to visit the online encyclopedia britannica to take time and place terms and compare them with SCA terms, because this is a really interesting thing... (First research thing to capture my interest since I finished with my persona...)

Mike Wyvill <wyvillmike at hotmail.com> wrote:

> > "Troll" was a pretty obvious pun on "toll", but that joke got old a > *long* time ago.

Really? I always thought it a half in jest reference to the Three Billy Goats Gruff....

EdV