[Ansteorra] Ring belts vs buckles

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 11 19:16:30 PST 2007

It'd be best if she could put or direct us to pics of the items
or catalogue numbers...that she states were examples of ring belts...

We can speculate all day long... without them and never know...

I don't know if these were actual items.... or recreations...
or even if they appeared to be true "rings" if there wasn't
further evidence found and just not revised in the catalogue
or in other literature...

I'd like the information on the items...
so I can write people who have examined them and see what the deal is...

This subject is actually a large bone of controversy in several
groups of people... and is not going to be solved by one person
with no credentials posting it on an SCA kingdom e-list...

Words on e-mail are nothing without backup documentation...

So... Lady Isobel de Kirkbryde please provide more information...

L DeerSlayer

Susan McMahill <sueorintx at hotmail.com> wrote: I would guess that if they didn't have holes in the belt, they were certainly tang-less; if they have holes, then a tang was probably lost. There might also be evidence of wear on the ring of the belt that would determine if a tang had ever been present. Smaller belts than our 1-1/2 to 2 inch SCA 'standard uniform' belts would also hold their knot better. I have a couple of ring belts and I don't readjust them much at all once I am finally dressed. Technology changes for a reason. The tang came because of the inherent difficulties with fasteners (rings, buckles, etc) without them. At some point, however, it would make sense that there might not have been tangs. If these belts were Viking period or earlier, why might they not have tangs. "real" people used the technology that was available to them. In the location that these rings were found, perhaps tang-less rings were the norm. Just playing devil's advocate.

Lyneya

Well-behaved women rarely make history.