[Ansteorra] Women warriors

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Nov 11 21:51:03 PST 2007

On Nov 11, 2007, at 2:33 PM, Elizabeth Blackthorne wrote:

> As far as I know, there are few female personas who would actually
> fight in period.  History shows that those who did fight were
> perceived as crazy or were executed for treason, or both.

Blanket statements about a period covering over a thousand years and
many different cultures often run info exceptions. More and more
women fighters seem to turn up as research continues. In many cases
it appears to be more of a case of Victorian (and other folks) not
wanting to see what is in their data or because of biases of the
researchers. Women fighters may not have been common, but they don't
seem to be as rare as many people would think, either.

Perhaps these articles might be of interest:
Women-Battle-art  (35K)  5/21/99    "Women and the Art of Battle in
the late
                                        Middle Ages" by Robin E. Craig.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/Women-Battle-art.html
Women-Warriors-art (31K)  8/22/04    "Women Warriors: Myth or Reality?"
                                        by Mistress Siobhan ni Seaghdha.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/Women-Warriors-art.html

Stefan
--------