[Ansteorra] Ring belts vs buckles

Jean Paul de Sens jeanpauldesens at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 07:20:45 PST 2007

Isobel, I'm afraid I agree with Lorraine.  A belt on a model is not really
verification that the ring of metal *was* a belt buckle.  Since when they
recovered it, unless it had been in a bog, it was probably just a ring of
metal.

it could have been used like this one :

http://www.frojel.com/Images/Galleries/Gotland/Images/belt12.jpg

as an extension.

Finding a ring of metal, slapping some leather on it and calling it a belt
is not very good proof.

JP

On Nov 13, 2007 8:44 AM, Isobel de Kirkbryde <kirkbryde at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Were they truely "ring" belts...
> or had they just lost their tang?
>
> L DeerSlayer
>

> They  were truly ring belts.  They were NOT buckles that had lost their
>  tang.  Not at all.  We saw one that we could walk right up  to, touch and
> observe quite closely.  It was indeed a ring belt  with the knot to hold the
> belt in place.  It was on a woman's  Viking dress which also had beautiful
> wool trim and wonderful  broaches.  As I said before, thought, the belt was
> very narrow  compared to what I usually see in the SCA.
>

> Lady Isobel de Kirkbryde leanbh a Úna
> Guild Head of the Guild of St. Camillus de Lellis, Kingdom of Ansteorra
> V-Scribe Canton of Skorragardr
> Deputy Northern Regional Scribe
> Member of Clann Lochlan
> Member of Clann Haddock
> Member of House MOO

"Write with nouns and verbs, not with adjectives and adverbs. The adjective
 hasn't been built that can pull a weak or inaccurate noun out of a tight
place."