[Ansteorra] Ducal Prerogative ..."THE SCROLL"

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 13 14:08:00 PST 2007

Salut cozyns, Thanks, Lochlan. The pertinent passage reads: >>>>Those who twice have held the Crown,Who twice have reigned as King,Shall be created Dukes:And it shall be their privilegeTo fight in the listsWithout reference to the winningOf the Crown, if they so choose.<<<< Ansteorran Kingdom Law states the prerogative simply as, "Any Duke or Duchess entered in the Crown Lists has the right to withdraw
from the Crown lists at any time."
 Strangely, although representatives of several kingdoms have told me that they recognize Ducal Prerogative in some form or another, no one else appears to have codified it. I started fighting in Artemisian Atenveldt, and we knew of Ducal Prerogative, but the assumption there was that a Duke who bowed out would do so between rounds. Can't say I ever saw it happen, though. This recent discussion piqued my curiosity, though, so reviewed the laws of the other kingdoms. Here's what I found:

In a nutshell, no kingdom but Ansteorra recognizes Ducal Prerogative in their laws. The Kingdom Laws in Atenveldt, Artemisia, Midrealm, Calontir, Drachenwald, and Ealdormere have, as far as I can tell, no statement either directly supporting or explicitly disallowing Ducal Prerogative.  Some have statements that appear to rule out the possibility of Ducal Prerogative.  West: "no one shall compete for the Crown without intending to reign should they emerge victorious." An Tir: "no one shall compete for the Crown without intending to reign should they emerge victorious."  Lochac "No one shall compete for the Crown of Lochac without intending to reign should he or she win."Caid: "No one may enter the Crown Lists without the intention to win the Crown and no one may intend to win the Crown without intending to reign."
Gleann Abhann: "Each fighter and prospective consort must be willing and able to fulfill the duties of the Heirs and Crown."Meridies: "Each competitor and prospective consort must be willing and able to fulfill the duties of the Crown."Trimaris: "Each prospective competitor and consort must... be willing and able to fulfill the duties of the Crown."
Northshield: "All prospective combatants in the Crown Tournament must first affirm that they and their consort understand and are prepared to accept the Crown’s responsibilities, as defined by the Governing Documents and Kingdom law."
 Atlantia allows withdrawal by anyone: "The withdrawal of either the competitor or the consort automatically eliminates both from that Crown Tournament. Either may withdraw at any point in the tournament, without loss of honor, by notifying the Crown and the Minister of the Crown Lists." Atlantian Law also, however, includes a requirement that, "No person shall enter the Crown Lists without intending an honorable
attempt to compete for the Crown." To me this suggests that withdrawal is acceptable but entry with the intent to withdraw is not.
 East Kingdom, " No gentle will enter a Crown Tourney without intending an honorable attempt to compete for the Crown," but also, " Any entrant may withdraw from a Crown Tourney at any point in time by notifying the Kingdom Minister of the Lists."
Aethelmearc has, "The withdrawal of either lord or lady from the Crown Lists shall automatically eliminate both from that Tournament,...Either may withdraw at any point in the Tournament by notifying the Minister of the Lists," but also, "No person shall enter the Crown Tournament without intending an honorable attempt to compete for the Crown."

I was surprised to see Outlands with anything like the Eastern Reich kingdoms, but Outlands also explicitly allows withdrawal: "An entrant, or prospective consort, may petition the Crown to be allowed to withdraw at any time. If a prospective consort is allowed to withdraw, the entrant who carries that person’s favor is thereby disqualified." This seems to suggest that anyone can withdraw at any time if the Crown agrees.En Lyonel
Impedimentum via est
(The obstacle is the path)