[Ansteorra] need help documenting a cushion

Susan Tillery sutillery at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 18 03:55:09 PST 2007

Not sure if this will help but A History Of Handknitting by Richard Rutt has pictures of a 13th c ( I think)  Spanish knitted cushion. I don't have a copy of the book unfortunately so I cannot check my reference.

AEla

"lambdakennels1 at juno.com" <lambdakennels1 at juno.com> wrote: I need help documenting a cushion from 13-16th century England.  I know they had cushions, because I see them in illuminations.  Unfortunately, they are almost always being sat on so I cannot see how they are constructed.  I am making a cushion of tone on tone Jacquard (sp?) upon which I have embroidered a heraldic lion.  The books I have looked at on furnishings deal with mostly furniture, and the costuming books deal with mostly what people actually wear.  There has to be a book out there that deals with the cushions and other stuff people used that were not actually furniture but were part of the room decor.  If someone can give me a citation for such a book, I would be most appreciative.  A website would be helpful, as well.  Thank you in advance.

Lady Stephanie Lilburn
Stephanie Smith, Ph.D
Hunt County, Texas
Owned by a Poodle and an Australian Cattle Dog
K5AMK