[Ansteorra] Glaslen SPAM

Susan McMahill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 21 16:32:10 PST 2007

Well-behaved women rarely make history.

> Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:16:12 -0800

I went back though my email files and looked at the Glaslyn event messages I have received. There are a couple of duplicates, but in several of them, there is an added class or two. This is well within the body of the message so it is possible that if you didn't take the time to really look at it, but rather assumed (and we all know what Assuming can do) that the email was exactly the same, you might have missed the additions.

Regardless of whether they were the same or not, the best way to handle any complaints would have been off list rather than YELLING at the sender....and the rest of the list or to be more genteel about how it was done. Now I don't know Colleen personally, I have no idea how long she has been playing in the SCA, nor how involved she has been in volunteering in the past. I do know, however, that if I had been chided in the manner that was done this afternoon, when I was a new person trying to help my group out, I would probably have disassociated myself from the SCA. We are supposed to value courtesy, respect, and grace. I didn't see much of that in the complaint emails.

Our words are a representation of ourselves when we are not in the room. How do you want people to think of you when they finally can put a name with a face? Will they remember the kind words or the harsh ones? Would you rather be publically chided or privately guided? Sending of suggestions off list rather than yelling at someone publically would have been much more appropriate. As my mother...and countless others have said before...if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Lyneya