[Ansteorra] event announcement SPAM-A-LOT

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 26 13:55:21 PST 2007

Regarding event announcements being posted to multiple groups, it can appear to be an over-posting, if you are in fact subscribed to those same groups in the event region - then you receive a post for each branch you subscribe to.

  That's why I really like the 'announce' lists, such as Hou-announce.   There is programming behind these e-mail 'announce' lists that any post to it will be delivered to each user only ONCE for each post, no matter how many branches you are subscribed to in the Hou-announce list group.

  To my knowledge, Hou-announce has the subcription branches of: Stargate, Loch-Soillier, Raven's Fort, Westgate, Gate's Edge, and perhaps a few others.  I currently subscribe to all those branches individually, except for Raven's Fort.  Any mass posting to those branches, I'll get hit with the event post four times.

  But, if the poster uses Hou-announce, it will programmatically determine if I'm subscribed to any of it's subscriber lists (Stargate, Loch...etc), and then send the message to me only ONCE.

  The current announce lists in Ansteorra are:
  Ansteorra-announce (all Ansteorran branches)
  Hou-Announce (Houston area branches)
  BG-Announce (Bryn Gwlad area branches).

  I thought there was a DFW-Announce at one time for the Dallas-Ft.Worth area branches, but don't see it on the list of Ansteorran e-mail groups.  Perhaps there should be one.

  Think about using the 'announce' lists in future for posting event announcements.

  BTW - a problem I began to see with the recent Glaslyn event announcements were when questions were asked, where the event announcement was not trimmed, so it had the appearance of yet another event post.

  Cheers, Hillary