[Ansteorra] Loch Soilleir Bardic Championship

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 4 13:27:35 PDT 2007

Your Excellency (and others),
Below are my interpretations of some terminology common to bardic
competitions (and those which I apply to the Loch's bardic championship):

I use "documentation required" to mean that you are required to have
documentation for that particular round to accompany your piece.  Some
judges will still let the person perform without documentation; other
judges might not.  Personally, when I see "documentation required", I
take it to mean "if I don't have it, I can't play."  I might not even
bother to ask if I can compete without documentation.

"Documentation recommended", or "not required but will be scored" means
you can perform a piece with or without documentation, but documentation
will be counted for the score.  If you don't submit documentation, you
get zero points for that element alone, but may score points in other
areas for the piece.  If you do submit documentation, your documentation
score will be added into the other scoring elements.

The Loch's competition is open to whatever the performer wishes to
perform, be it period, period style, SCA filk, etc.  Standard
performance judging sheets will be used.

In service,
Alden