[Ansteorra] OT-Babies and cats

Chiara Francesca chiara.francesca at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 22:00:56 PDT 2007

We did, all three babies. One child is actually now recently diagnosed to be
allergic to cats. We are getting treatment for him and he is doing well. The
other two did not test positive for cat allergies.

We have had two Main Coons and one Burmese, not all at the same time, not
all pure breeds. The two Main Coons were very possessive. The first one
liked attacking the neighborhood dogs if they got too close to the yard. The
city came out and tried to ticket us for it until they saw the cat and left
laughing. They are BIG cats.

The first cat was mine for 15 years. He was in my life a very long time
before hubby. It was a love hate relationship to the end. But then, the cat
never liked any man that I dated. Thus, hubby decided to just be the cat's
best buddy in an annoying way until he would cry uncle, the cat that is. The
cat was very loving and protective of the kids.

He passed on and the second one showed up on our door step shortly after the
birth of our third baby. He had identical markings to our first Main Coon so
we kept him. His behavior was also identical to our first. He adopted me
over hubby and the cycle was once again repeated on the making each other
cry uncle on a regular basis.

He passed on and someone put out a call to please take a rescued kitty. We
got her home and she became hubby's cat immediately. The Burmese is very
aloof. She generally stays away from the kids and stays out of their rooms.
But she is all show, anyone can pick her up and drag her around and she will
go limp, mew, and purr until you let her go and pretty much stays in the
spot you left her on purring. Never a scratch on a kid or a bite. She does
not like other kids when they come over to play with ours. She will hide
until they are gone. She is very tolerant of ours, not so of strangers
unless they are adults. I think this is more an attribute of the breed than
anything else. Again, she is not a pure breed.

Now long ago, when I got pregnant with our first child we did take in two
rescued kittens, brother and sister. There was a day that I took my shower
and left the towel to dry. The female kitten pulled down my towel and peed
on it. For the rest of the month she continued to pee on anything of mine
that I had just dried my hands on or used in a shower if she could manage to
pull it down. Since we lived in a rental the last thing we wanted was to
have to pay for continual cleaning due to her strangely related to my
pregnancy accidents so we got rid of the pair. We did three major cleanings
of the place since I was due pretty soon and I did not want that smell, (you
know the one), lingering. No, I am not a clean freak, only when I was
pregnant. :D

Hope that helps. :)

Chiara Francesca