[Ansteorra] OT-Babies and cats

Donna Nesbit themaefare at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 7 08:35:20 PDT 2007

When our first child was born, our very affectionate Persian cat wondered what that new thing was.  Having also heard the  myths about cats and babies, I was careful about leaving cat and baby alone.  One day within the first week,I had just finished nursing our son and had laid him on the bed where he was cooing softly.  The cat jumped on the bed, walked over, sniffed the baby from top to toe, paying especial interest to his face, mouth, and nose.  I gently moved the cat away from the baby's face, but let her continue to explore our newborn.  After that, the cat just ignored any noises coming from that strange critter.  As our baby grew, the cat learned to avoid being caught but would play with the baby.

  I have had several other cats and two other children.  There has never been a problem with the cats and babies intereacting.  I think the baby noises may sound like kitten noises, especially at first.  Also, the smell of milk on the baby's breath is interesting to the cats.  With all of them, once they figured out there was nothing to eat and the noises were not a kitten, the cat was satisfied.

  Penelope

Chelsea Durham <baby_sis_83 at hotmail.com> wrote:

Are there any good gentles out there that have had newborns and cats? What were your experiences? Did you have problems with cats that were exceptionally attached to you? -Lady Grainne Kathleen NicPadraig MacDaniel None is deceived but he who trusts too much.