[Ansteorra] ISO Pewter casting Information

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Oct 6 17:58:08 PDT 2007

On Oct 6, 2007, at 4:51 PM, Elizabeth Blackthorne wrote:

>   I have a member in my shire looking into learning how to cast
> pewter site tokens, and where to get the supplies online.  He has
> ordered already a kit from ebay and is now trying to find a
> soapstone dealer.  Any help would be appreciated.
>   Thank You,
>   Elizabeth Blackthorne
>   Seneschal of Crossrode Keep

Have your shire member check out these files in the CRAFTS section of
the Florilegium:
casting-lnks      (22K)  7/14/06    Links to info on medieval metal
casting by
                                        Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon
casting-msg      (152K)  4/25/05    Casting pewter and other metals.
pewter-msg        (16K)  2/ 7/01    Pewter in period. References.
Sources.
soapstone-msg     (30K)  3/26/06    Use of Soapstone in period.
Modern sources.

I got into pewter casting about 15 years ago, primarily to cast
pewter site tokens (pilgrim badges). I have taught quite a number of
hands-on classes over the years, including at King's Colleges,
Pennsic and Gulf Wars. If your member would like to contact me, I'd
be happy to answer what questions I can.

Using soapstone molds is a period technique, while using Bondo is
not. Unless you are trying to make a mold of something you already
own, I would recommend not using Bondo or other modern synthetic
material. It really isn't that difficult to carve a negative image.
It is just something to be aware of and keep in mind. Preparing a
reversed sketch of what you what ahead of time can help. Soapstone
also creates its own film of dust on its surface which helps you
separate the casting from the mold. It also retains heat which helps
even mold temperatures, both across the mold and from cast to cast.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com