[Ansteorra] flash photography at events

Jennifer Carlson talana1 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 12 06:40:39 PDT 2007

I like having photos as keepsakes.  The memories they hold are precious:
college friends horsing around at fighter practice, Sir Ricardo di Pisa's
knighting ceremony ... I've collected a lot of memories over the years, and
will continue to do so.

I have also been a court herald blinded to the point of headache by
relentless flashes.  My husband has often had good shots spoiled because
there were too many flashes going off at the same time, and his pictures
came out highly overexposed.

There is a middle ground to this issue.  Most digital cameras have a
"nighttime" or "low light" setting.  This requires a slower shutter speed,
so you might need a tripod (a mere $20 at Wal-Mart), but it eliminates the
need for a flash.

If you use film, use a low-light film.  Again, you may want a tripod.

Designate a photographer from your group: shire, province, barony,
household, etc., and share the pics later.  That will reduce the number of
cameras competing for a good shot.

And it would help greatly if the presiding nobles would let their wishes be
known.  Many people do not mind flashes, but some may.

In servicio,

Talana