[Ansteorra] Flash Photography at events

Jean Paul de Sens jeanpauldesens at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 21:20:24 PDT 2007

Actually, it's "Invulnerable Shield of Oz!"  (doncha just love the oral
tradition?)

It's a wonderful story of love, romance, danger, high adventure, and
betrayal...

ok, well it's not really that, but it's a good story...

Zubeydah, I'll tell you the story this weekend if you'd like :)

Jean Paul (who was there :) )

On 9/11/07, Zubeydah Jamilla al-Badawiyya <zubeydah at northkeep.org> wrote:

> Fatthiopap Laszlo raises some very good points about the beauty of oral
> history, and the 'gosh did you see at court, when...'   Alas, these
> stories
> are lost over time, and as the participation of the witnesses ebbs and
> flows. He referenced three stories: "Michael of Monmouthshire riding into
> court on a shield a la Surfboard, Sir Emrys' knighting, The Impervious
> shield of Sir Erasmus, and others. "  I've been participating for six
> years
> here in Ansteorra -- I've never heard any of those stories.  (I would love
> to, btw.)
>
> But when I am able to reference a photograph of what happened in a court,
> it's far more likely that I or others will hear those stories - there's a
> visual cue for people to respond to, rather than relying on memory or the
> telephone game of, "I heard such and such happened".. I've been actively
> soliciting such stories for several years now, and it's rare that anyone
> is
> willing to provide such a description. It tends to get boiled down a dry
> recitation of awards, and little else.
>
> Take for example, the court at Namron's Beltane.  I could show you:  A
> bard
> was called into court and asked to perform a specific piece. Many in the
> audience were visibly moved. Moments after he finished, the Laurels were
> called forth. The Crown asked if he would accept a Peerage.  The bard,
> with
> the gracious consent of Their Majesties, half dashed, half stumbled in
> shock
> to where his lady sat nearby.  He swept her up, holding tightly to her
> hands. He asked her consent, knowing it would affect her life, too, should
> he accept. She granted it, and he embraced her.  Or, I could tell you:
> "Finnican was asked to join the Laurels, and it was cool."
>
> I wouldn't have wanted to miss that moment, and through a camera, I was
> able
> to share it with others.  The story is told clearly, in images, and with
> additional snippets of words. Shared with all who couldn't make it, who
> will
> never meet anyone who was there, or even from other Kingdoms who know and
> care about this bard.
>
> Most courts occur in the evening. Most evening courts require some form of
> artificial light. A flash takes all of a second's interruption, to capture
> moment for participants and friends, Peers and others from across the
> society. Why rob them of the ability to share in that moment?
>
> Waxing loquacious,
>
> Zubeydah

There are no simple answers, but there are many simple questions.