[Ansteorra] flash photography at events

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Wed Sep 12 07:57:11 PDT 2007

________________________________

<snip, snip>

>There is a middle ground to this issue.  Most digital cameras have a
>"nighttime" or "low light" setting.  This requires a slower shutter speed,
>so you might need a tripod (a mere $20 at Wal-Mart), but it eliminates the
>need for a flash.

I have used a very high ISO and VR (vibration reduction) lenses and they
get a good exposure in low light. However, they are using slow speeds.
A tripod will help with the ambient light, but if someone moves, you
still get motion blur. I did this for a whole evening court and the major
players in each picture moved enough to ruin the picture. I would say
it is next to impossible to get candid (not posed) shots in very low light.

>If you use film, use a low-light film.  Again, you may want a tripod.

>Designate a photographer from your group: shire, province, barony,
>household, etc., and share the pics later.  That will reduce the number of
>cameras competing for a good shot.

This idea would help a great deal. But you would have to use a photographer
who is trusted to get good pictures and it might be hard to find agreement
on that.

>And it would help greatly if the presiding nobles would let their wishes be
>known.  Many people do not mind flashes, but some may.

My original advice.

>In servicio,
>Talana

Caelin on Andrede