[Ansteorra] Musings on censorship (was Flash Photography at events)

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 14 10:12:10 PDT 2007

Greetings:

On Sep 11, 2007, at 2:15 PM, Walter Ward wrote:

> ...You may as well be damned for poop as damned for stinking. ...

I had to chuckle at this, because it's a fine example of censorship
(or in this case self-censorship) that doesn't make sense to me.
"Damned" was left untouched, but "poop" was presumably substituted
for something more vulgar.

You see this in movies broadcast on cable and television, too.
Someone will utter a three syllable expletive, but what you hear is
"--- damn it!". Why someone would bleep "God" but leave the
invocation of damnation just boggles me.

Ah, well. Random thoughts for an old mind. Logic seldom has much to
do with real life. :-P

Michael

p.s. that's a fine phrase quoted above. I certainly plan to add it to
my vocabulary. :-)