[Ansteorra] Combat Archery Ruling

Paul Thorne paul.v.thorne at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 14:36:50 PDT 2008

Greetings,

   As of this afternoon we have decided the path that Ansteorra will take
with the new Society Rules concerning ammunition construction.  Effective
immediately all UHMW cored blunts will require a minimum of 1/2" padding and
a maximum of 1" of padding.  Once again here is the announcement from the
Society Combat Archery Marshal;

*Effective immediately* by the Society Earl Marshal & the Deputy Society
Earl Marshal for Combat Archery, the following changes to equipment are
required due to repeated incidents of helm penetrations:

   - Combat Archery ammunition may have at most 1" thick padding on the tip
   after taping.

   - All UHMW & Siloflex/Rubber Stopper ammunition must have a side wrap of
   foam added that brings the total diameter of the blunt to at least 1.5"
   after taping. This wrap must extend from the tip to at least 1/2" over the
   UHMW or Siloflex itself.

   - All fletches on any arrows, bolts, or thrown weapons can project no
   further than 1/2" from the shaft, or must be 1.5" thick.

   - NOTE: All Marshals need to be rigorous in their inspections of all tips
   (arrows & thrusting) and mass weapons. Ensure that the foam is firm, will
   not bend over, returns to shape when compressed, and can not be easily
   pushed into a legal helm more than 1/2".

Siegfried Sebastian Faust
Society Combat Archery Marshal

  A big concern is that Gulf War requirements currently for CA is 3/4" of
padding.  If you plan on attending Gulf War, or even sending some
arrows/bolts to Gulf Wars I would make sure that your ammunition passes that
standard.  They will be legal here and will be legal there.  If Gulf War
standards change I will send out a notification to the appropriate lists.
Thank you all for your patience in letting us see this through.

In Service,

HL Jean-Paul de Calmont, CAO
Kingdom Missile Marshal, Ansteorra