[Ansteorra] need doumunation on wood and leather burning

Haraldr Bassi ansteorra at haraldr.drakkar.org
Sun Aug 31 17:25:02 PDT 2008

Hell Your Grace,

Bezants could indeed be made by using a soft foil metal and embossing onto a mold. I've
encountered an artisan who was showing exactly that technique at a Pennsic artisan display
several years ago. She was showing the use of a very thin sheet of brass or copper over a
soapstone form. A simple burnisher of a rounded wooden stick is enough to impress the image into
the metal. Once made, a small punch (any sharp point in a handle) is sufficient to make the
small hole to allow it to be sewn to a garment.

I am unsure if I could find the documentation I might have been able to pickup from the artisan
and after the intervening years I am unsure who it was anymore.

Hopefully that will help you in your quest.

Haraldr Bassi, Bjornsborg