[Ansteorra] Interesting book

Genie Barrett ladymaggie at justinanimator.com
Thu Dec 11 21:16:15 PST 2008

At 08:32 AM 12/11/2008, you wrote:
>I came across this title in my history book club selection.  I plan on
>ordering it when it is released at the end of December
>Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village by Laura Schlitz.
>It is a series of 23 monologues about children growing up in a English
>village in 1255.   It looks like a great book both for children and
>adults  especially those who wish to look more into persona
>development.

My Mother-in-Law sent a copy of this to my daughter for Christmas
last year.  It is beautiful.  Written by a historian/librarian for
the Jr. High School students in her school.  Each cameo is either a
solo or pair of characters that cover every type of child in a
medieval town from the fool, the eel catcher, the escaped serf, the
Lord's daughter, the glass-blower's daughters, a Jewish boy and a
Christian girl, etc.

It is very informative with little asides that explain period terms
and history of many of the occupations covered.  Issues are covered
from religion, politics, hunger and marriage.  I find it a delightful
read and would love to see some of these performed.

Maggie
Bard