[Ansteorra] What to wear the Central region 12th night

willowdewisp at juno.com willowdewisp at juno.com
Mon Dec 15 22:18:51 PST 2008

Some of you are thinking. I can't make a Late Italian outfit or how can I get a disguise together for 12 night.
I am here to save the day.
First, Carnival goes back into history. While the first one that is mentioned is about 1160 something. it occurred non stop through out our period. So any time dress is OK.
Two, people wear strange things when they put on a costume. So you can wear any period and claim you are portraying someone or something.
Three, Costumes were different in period. For example, you want to be Bacchus, God of Wine.Today you would were a Greek outfit but in period and the latter you are the more likely you are to do this, you would wear a little drape and carry a wine cup with wreath on your head. They were into symbolic costumes.
There were people that went totally out there.but there were all sort of people who just wore a token.
Also on the matter of masks. While there is a lot of info on how everyone wore masks at Carnival there is also some historical notes that said that Ladies did not wear masks to the special balls and parties. Often the masks were worn on the streets and taken off at the party. In the period painting we see a lot of women with their mask on sticks. Gentlemen, especially gentlemen who were part of stocking club wore their masks the whole time and created a air of anonymous mystery.
Mistress Willow de Wisp