[Ansteorra] need Richard I historian

Robert G. Ferrell rgferrell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 21:02:40 PST 2008

lambdakennels1 at juno.com wrote:
> Was there a battle fought while Richard I Of England was Earl of Poitou were where 1150 men or so in his tabards were defending a castle and were over run by a much superior force?  He wasn't there.  Can you tell me what it was called and where it is?  Thank you.

The best possibilities I can think of are all castles involved in Philip
Augustus' attempt to put Richard in his place in the summer of 1188.
Chateauroux (Berry), Aumale (Normandy), or Issoudun (Berry) might be the
name you're looking for.  These all fell to Philip while under Richard's
control.

I could be totally wrong, though.  Richard was constantly getting into
fights in Angoulême, Limousin, and Périgord in the early 1180s and a
castle in one of those regions could be the answer.

Cynric