[Ansteorra] Ivory Keys?

RGF rgf44 at att.net
Tue Dec 30 20:09:08 PST 2008

Seems to be working,

Thanks
Wilkin

-----Original Message-----
From: ansteorra-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org
[mailto:ansteorra-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org] On Behalf Of David J. Hughes
Sent: Monday, December 29, 2008 7:13 PM
To: Kingdom of Ansteorra - SCA, Inc.
Subject: Re: [Ansteorra] Ivory Keys?

RGF wrote:
> I have acquired most of the keys from a very old piano. I need to know how
> to make sure the laminate is ivory and how to remove it from the wood
> without damaging it. I have tested with a Hot needle and know the laminate
> is not plastic.
>

> Wilkin

Look at it under microscope.  Ivory has many tubules, often s shaped.

An OLD (pre 1940) piano probably had the ivory laminate bonded to the
wood using hide glue.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hide_glue

Alcohol will embrittle the hide glue, allowing the veneer to to popped off.
Hot water (140 F) or steam will soften the glue, and the residual glue
can be dissolved in hot water.

Hope this helps.

David Gallowglass, occasional woodworker.