[Ansteorra] jewelry mavens

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Feb 5 13:35:38 PST 2008

Duchess Willow said in regards to our recent Candlemas event:

<<< Also the amount of period jewelry was wonderful. There were
museum pieces and ingenious home crafted pieces of art. To choose so
many good examples of Norse and Anglo Saxon jewelry means there had
been a bunch of research.Newer people and people with other time
period personas could learn a lot about a very important art form
just by looking.
Learning by experience is the main premise of the SCA as a learning
organization. >>>

Yes, at one point all three Norse ladies in front of me had strings
of beads going from one large disk to another. I wasn't aware of this
style until a class on Norse clothing earlier in the day.

So far in the Florilegium most of the jewelry info I have is in the
single jewelry-msg file with a few separate files on finger rings and
ear rings and a file or two on amber. I'd love to have some separate
articles on the jewelry of different cultures and time periods. Since
some of you have apparently done some research on Norse and Anglo-
Saxon jewelry, I'd love to have some articles on these.

These would give folks a place to go look for such information and it
would help the research you've already done, help others. The
copyright remains with the author and I will take updates or
removal :-( requests at any time. I also have no problem with an
article being published elsewhere as well. I can handle photographs
and diagrams as well as text, provided you are the copyright holder
or have permission to use them.

<<< Just by observation , Countess Octavia wore a lovely latter
period dress and was wearing a perfect latter period cabochon
necklace. After seeing the early period jewelry her necklace really
bought home the style differences.  It made history and the concept
of history and people changing really come alive for me. It was very
interesting.>>>

For a number of years I've wanted to find out what would jewelry
would be appropriate for my persona (1150s Anglo-Norman) but havne't
found the time to go research it.

I think an article contrasting the jewelry worn by different cultures
or how jewelry fashion changed through the centuries would also make
a wonderful article for the Florilegium. Amber seems to have been
particularly desired by the early Norse folks. Was it not used in
later period cultures? Was this because it got hard to find or for
other reasons?

Thanks,
Stefan

amber-msg         (17K)  5/ 2/01    Period use of amber. What it is.
How to buy.
amber-buying-art  (27K) 12/30/96    How to buy amber. How to detect
fake amber.
beads-msg         (48K)  5/ 9/04    Necklaces, beads.
brooches-lnks      (8K)  4/ 2/05    Links to medieval Chatelaines and
Brooches
                                        by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
ear-rings-msg      (8K)  7/12/02    Medieval ear rings. Men's and
women's.
finger-rings-lnks (10K) 12/18/04    Links to information on medieval
finger
                                        rings by Dame Aoife Finn of
Ynos Mon.
finger-rings-msg  (23K)  7/10/02    Medieval finger rings.
jewelry-msg       (78K)  1/17/08    Medieval jewelry. Jewelry sources.
jewlry-storag-msg  (7K)  6/19/05    Jewelry storage in period and the
SCA.
pearls-msg        (26K)  3/26/04    Period pearls. Use in jewelry and
elsewhere.
Signet-Rings-art  (38K)  8/ 4/06    “A Brief Historical Summery of
Signet Rings”
                                        by Lord Gustav Minnesinger.

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas