[Ansteorra] Stefan's Florilegium article for February

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Feb 7 22:21:31 PST 2008

Greetings to those across the Known World,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for February, detailing what
is new in the Florilegium this month..

If you have written any SCA-oriented articles for your local
newsletter, please consider sending them for me for the Florilegium.
You've already put in effort researching and writing such an article,
and having it in the Florilegium is one way of helping the Known
World as well. Often a class handout or a piece of A&S documentation
can also work well. I would especially love to get any papers entered
in A&S contests. The copyright remains with the author and I accept
updates and revisions as you learn more.

I will be attending Gulf Wars in four weeks or so and will be staying
with my barony across the road from the Anstoerra gate. If you are
going to be there, please feel free to stop by and visit. My banner,
which can be seen on the Florilegium site, should be hanging on our
pavilion.

You can also catch me at my class about the Florilegium on Wednesday
or Friday or my usual hands-on pewter casting classes on Tuesday or
Thursday.

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past seventeen years in an ongoing effort, I have been
collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
this information available to others, I have placed this information
in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an
article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send
it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation
and class handouts will also often work out well.

I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping
me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials,
editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more
details.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the ARCHERY section:
    Trgt-les-Prac-art    "Target-less Practice" by Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf.
    Winners-Choic-art    "Winner's Choice" by Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf.
In the CELEBRATIONS AND EVENTS section:
    p-cstume-prty-msg    Period/medieval costume parties.
In the DANCE section:
    Belly-Dance-art      "Re-Creating a 'Belly Dance' Persona in the
                            SCA" by Rebba (Lady) Esther bat Baruch.
In the SCRIBAL-ARTS section:
    ES-Bookbindng-art    "Embroidered Spine Bookbinding" by Master
                            Sven Odin Eye.

This month there are only a few new files since I've been
concentrating on updating a bunch of the older ones. Here are a few
of the updated files.
    almond-milk-msg      Making almond milk. Recipes. Deskinning nuts
    artichokes-msg       Period artichokes. Recipes. Cardoons.
    babies-msg           Camping with babies.
    butchering-msg       Overview of butchering livestock and game.
    chainmail-msg        Making chainmail. Mail armor. References.
    cider-msg            Apple and other ciders. Cider presses.
    liver-msg            Medieval cooking of liver. Recipes.
    marzipan-msg         Use of marzipan (almond paste) in sotelties.
    patterns-msg         Sources for clothing patterns. Altering
                            mundane patterns.
    saffron-msg          Types of saffron. period uses.
    sausages-msg         Period sausages. Making sausage.
    shields-msg          SCA and period shields.
    slings-msg           Slings as weapons. combat and hunting.
    thickening-msg       Use of period food thickening agents.
    wafers-msg           Period savory and sweet wafers. Recipes.
    weddings-msg         Period and SCA weddings.
---
Copyright 2008, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
the article into limited publication space is allowed.  The article
introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
info are retained.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas