[Ansteorra] ANSTEORRA HERALDIC HELP NEEDED

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Sat Feb 9 06:04:11 PST 2008

Ldy Arabella asked:

>I knew that, was wondering if there was any story
> behind the way the badge looks?

Actually, yes.  It was originally submitted by Baroness Aureliane Rioghail,
first Star Principal Herald, as "Or, a mullet of five greater and five
lesser points sable".  This was shot down for conflict with Parker (I
believe), "Or a mullet sable".  So she submitted it with a bordure.  This
was in 1979 -1980.

The version with the bordure was submitted as a flag, and was originally
drawn in a rectangle shape, as flags usually are.  She then quickly re-drew
it on a swallowtail flag, so that it wouldn't look like a bathmat.
(Aureliane referred to it as the "bathmat of state".)

I haven't thought about that confict in decades, and I doubt if there's
anybody else left who knew it.  Since we're not doing conflict checking
against mundane armory in Papworth any more, the original conflict has gone
away.  The kingdom might consider re-submitting "Or, a mullet of five
greater and five lesser points sable".

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin