[Ansteorra] siloflex swords

Sir Morgan Buchanan morganbuchanan at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 9 18:07:14 PST 2008

Siloflex is a polymer tubing material which can be purchased at a variety of
places like home improvement or plumbing supply, as I understand it.  It
doesn't substitute for rattan, but is used to enhance rattan.  One takes a
core of rattan and drives it into a siloflex tube.  The hard(er) polymer
tube keeps the rattan healthy longer, or so the theory goes.

The piece of rattan used is smaller than 1 1/4" as the outside diameter of
the siloflex is usually that measurement.

They handle pretty well exactly the same as a "full" rattan sword.  Siloflex
swords, in at least my experience, tend to be on the lighter end of the
spectrum.  The problem as I see it with siloflex swords is that internal
damage isn't as immediately apparent.  With a tape and rattan sword, you can
put your hand on the sword and simply feel that the rattan has pulped out.
With siloflex, you just get an increasily flexible sword.

There's really not a great deal to say about it.  Hope this helps - I'm sure
that fans of it will speak up on some of the stronger pros.

Morgan