[Ansteorra] Available dance music was Re: Merry Musicians CD

Sweet, Debby deborah.s.sweet at okstate.edu
Tue Feb 12 13:33:25 PST 2008

Adena Terricsdottir said:

>I Think that is a GREAT idea!! I know that one of my biggest problems
is that I dont >have a CD with the specific DANCE music on it, or if I
do, it is by another name and >it is hard for me to know which dance
goes to it.? (I know that they are out there, any >suggestions??)

Until such time as the MMM can record and produce a CD, here are some
suggestions on what is commercially available. CD Baby is a great
resource -- no connection other than a satisfied custormer. The same for
the other merchants mentioned. I either own each CD listed or I have
heard it/danced to it from another dance instructor.

Bransles:

1 -  Tempus Saltandi -- Wolgemut - available from CD Baby
http://cdbaby.com/cd/wolgemut03   $12.95 (Track list: Double, Single,
Gay, Burgundian, Tourch, Charlotte, Pease, Maltese, Scottish, Official,
Pinagay, Hay, Montarde, Washerwoman's, Horse's Bransles).

English Country Dancing:

2 - Silence is Deadly -- The Waits of Southward Renaissance Band -
available from CD Baby http://cdbaby.com/cd/waits   $12.99 cd / $8.99
cassette (Tracks: Rufty Tufty, Newcastle, Faine I Would, Saint Martins,
Hide Park, Road to Lisdoonvarna, Stingo, Jenny Pluck Pears, Gathering
Peascods, Merry Merry Milkmaids, Cuckolds All A Row & some other morris
dance tunes).

SCA / Italian / ECD / Almans / etc:

3 - Dancing with the Infidels - Peach Curry. Available from The Pillaged
Villaged (along with the dancing instruction book-maybe).
http://www.pillagedvillage.com/cgi-bin/intpvonline/scan/st=db/co=yes/sf=
category/se=Music_and_Software/op=rm/se=1/sf=inactive/op=ne/ml=20.html?i
d=I5BMHWiW .  (Tracks: Black Nag, Hole in the Wall, Korobushka,
Schiarazula Marazula [aka Maltese Bransle], Officla Bransle, Trenchmore,
& the middle eastern-ish dances.)

4 - Dances From the Inns of Court AND
5 -  Courtly Dances of Western Europe 1450 - 1650. Jouissance. Both
available from Peter Durham, via this webpage,
http://www.peterdur.us/dance/recordings.htm#CDWE .
(Track list for Courty Dances: Petit Riense, Lauro, Anello, Lioncello
Vecchio, Amoroso, Ballo del Fiore, Queen's Alman, Black Alman, Rutfy
Tufty, Upon a Summers Day, Gathering Peascods, Mage on a Cree, Branles:
Simple, Charlotte, Pease, Washerwoman, Pinagay, Belle Qui Tiens ma Vie).
(Track list for Inns of Court: Quadran Pavan, Turkelone, Earl of Essex
Measure, Tinternell, Old Alman, Queen's Alman, Madam Sosilia, Black
Alman, Lorayne Alman, New Alman).

6 - Schauspiluden II - Wolgemut. CD Baby http://cdbaby.com/cd/wolgemut98
. Has Chanzonetta Tedesca, Nonesuch, Sellengers Round, & Scharazula.  [
Schauspiluden I - has Goddesses & various bransles; the other three
Wolgemut CD's are great music but no specific dance tracks].

7 - At Home - The Boston Centre Dance Series, Vol. 5. Bare Necessities.
Available at Country Dance and Song Society, http://www.cdss.org/ .
(Tracks useful are: Lull Me Beyond Thee, Argeers, Fain I Would, Hyde
Park, Broom the Bonny Bonny Broom, Epping Forest, Parson's Farewell,
Merry Merry Milkmaids).  [Vol. 9 looks to be the next best. A variety of
dances are on each one, listed at http://www.cds-boston.org/ecdc/  .]

8, 9, & 10 - 3 Albums by Musica Subterranea.
http://cdbaby.com/cd/musicasubterranea1
(Album 1 - Tracks: Official Bransle, Earl of Salisbury Pavan, Black Nag,
Gelosia, Newcastle, Rostibloi Gioiosa, Horse Bransle, Rufty Tufty, Petit
Riens, Parson's Farewell, Hyde Park, Amoroso, Heart's Ease, Half
Hannikin, Anello, Villanicco, Female Sailor, John Tallow's Canon, Hole
in the Wall, & Scotland the Brave).

 http://cdbaby.com/cd/musicasubterranea2
(Album II - Tracks: Chestnut, Cuckolds All A Row, Gathering Peascods,
Jenny Pluck Pears, Old Mole, Posties Jig, Quen Quer Que, Scotch Cap &
others).

http://cdbaby.com/cd/musicasubterranea3
(Album III - Tracks: All in a Garden Green, Argeers, Bizzaria d'Amore,
Boateman, Bransle Aridan, Cassandra, Charlotte, Pinagay, Clog;
Grimstock, Maiden Lane, Maid Peeped Out the Window, Schiarazula
Marazula, Merry Merry Milk Maids, Montarde, New Bo Peep, Pease Bransle,
Picking of Sticks, Sellengers Round, War Bransle, Washerwoman's,
Whirligig)

Sorry for the length of the post, but someone would have asked so what's
on that CD - even though they could check out the contents on the
webpages.

Estrill
dancemonger