[Ansteorra] Largess who should do it

willowdewisp at juno.com willowdewisp at juno.com
Fri Feb 22 12:03:49 PST 2008

Largess is one of the Medieval Ideals that we how dear. It has always been thought that ever Lord or Lady should give out Largess.
Of Course when I started there weren't people higher than Lords or Ladies. As I stayed longer in the SCA and as I gained rank I realize that it was my duty to give Largess.
In a Medieval culture Largess is the encouragement which keeps things going.
You can imagine my surprise when I went to Meridis and discovered they didn't do it. The first time I offered a ring to an artisan she looked at me and said "I don't accept gifts from strangers." I think she thought I was coming on to her. I did the time out signal and I explained. "I am a duchess and I am suppose to encourage them by giving them word fame and largess. You on the other hand are gentle born lady and you are suppose to accept them with a gracious aire, even if you think my gift is trash. It is how medieval people interact." I then presented her with the ring and he graciously accepted it. I had to do similar things over and over again because they just didn't understand this Medieval behavior.
Of course Gift giving is one of the glues That kept the historical worlds and cultures together. It spans our whole time period.
willow