[Ansteorra] Please share your favorite memory of getting

eleanor cleavely whiteoakbard at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 17:15:30 PST 2008

The most memorable piece of largess I have ever received is the first piece
of largess. It was at Defender of the Tor in 2001. I performed my first
bardic piece (a sobbed-out version of "Greensleeves"). I was terrified to
perform and had much liquid courage to keep me brave enough to sing. I was
the last performer of the bunch, following the likes of Master Darius, Lord
Timothy, and others. After shaking and sobbing my stage-frighted self
through the song, I attempted a hasty exit. However, Her Majesty Larissa
stopped me and called me over. She presented me with two small rose-scented
candles and told me that "Greensleeves" was her favorite song. Not to be
outdone, His Excellency Galen of Bristol, my Baron at the time, presented me
with a beautiful cloak clasp and praised what he called my "bravery" on the
Bardic field.

Though I did not win the Bardic that day (thank the gods I didn't!), those
two piece of largess meant so much to me. To this day when I perform, after
many competitions, titles and fires, I still remember the scent of those
candles and the feel of the clasp in my shaking hands. I will never forget
that day or how it felt.

Ever in service with a song and a smile,
Lady Eleanor Cleavely
Descendant of the White Oak
Bard
--
"Mine honor is my life; both grow in one;
take honor from me and my life is done."

Ego existo obstinantus - I am resolved

Reluctor ultum , pareo parum - Resist much, obey little