[Ansteorra] Candlemas...

willowdewisp at juno.com willowdewisp at juno.com
Mon Feb 4 15:45:50 PST 2008

I also want to thank the autocrat and the people of the area for Candlemas. I had a wonderful time and I was able to play persona for a large part of the event. As in all good events I moved from a high historical persona to the middle high one of being in the Kingdom of Ansteorra but no time during the event was I forced to deal with the everyday world. I floated on a wonderful cloud of magic.
I realized there were at least 2 tracks of activities and with the business circles they might have been even more. With the classed there were activities for people who didn't want to do persona but with the activities are King Guthorm and King Alfred there was ample fun and games for all. The Danish ladies looking for husband were wonderful. I am sorry I couldn't find any unmarried men.
The fighting was wonderful showing great skill and honor. I loved Ogre Ball and Marshaling it is a true challenge. It was lots of fun.
I enjoyed the format for the bardic. Lord Charles was a young man who came before me in the contest and he got me laughing so hard i could hardly perform my first piece. The second time around he had problems and I thought I had a chance. I did a piece which perfectly fitted another poem he had and he gave a wonderful performance.
This is an example of how being forced to decide on your piece before the performance sometime weakens the performance.  It is part of the Bardic Arts to pick the right piece for the right situation. I think it is a greater test of skill for artist to be able to , at the moment, pick the right piece for that time. The piece performed just before you often shaped what piece you should perform.
The performances in the hall were wonderful but  had no set up and I think were lost to some of the populace. In the hey day of bardic performance we often had MC/announcer who help prepare the audience and I think increased the enjoyment of the performance.
Yes I believe a "good bard/performer" can prepare the hall but for the total enjoyment of the populace sometimes we need to treat our performances as a "show" and prepare the lighting and staging to get the most out of the performances.
It is my custom to go to the kitchen and thank the cooks. I am sorry I don't do that this time. My excuse is I was so busy stuffing my face with the Wonderful food I ran out of time. I also want to thank the cooks who made the pastries and tarts at the nobles lunch. They were wonderful. I would really like to be introduced to the feast cooks and luncheon cooks.
Again I want to thank everyone for making me so welcome.
I am a poor Duchess but my husband will be celebrating his 30Th year as a Knight/Master of Arms at Crown Tourney and we will be having a fete.in the evening. I hope all of you that showed me so much hospitality will please come to our fete and help him enjoy his anniversary.
Duchess Willow de Wisp