[Ansteorra] St Valentine day lovers or love

heidemarie.1 at juno.com heidemarie.1 at juno.com
Thu Feb 14 13:02:13 PST 2008

I like the idea of treating yourself if you're single on this day. What a great idea... My Valentine's Day is being spent sick at home with a sinus infection, inner ear infection and pink eye... FUN TIMES FOR ME AND MINE!!!!

Here's another neat Valentine's day legend I found:
In Ancient Rome, February 15 was Lupercalia, an archaic rite connected to fertility, without overtones of romance. Plutarch wrote:

Lupercalia, of which many write that it was anciently celebrated by shepherds, and has also some connection with the Arcadian Lycaea. At this time many of the noble youths and of the magistrates run up and down through the city naked, for sport and laughter striking those they meet with shaggy thongs. And many women of rank also purposely get in their way, and like children at school present their hands to be struck, believing that the pregnant will thus be helped in delivery, and the barren to pregnancy.[3]

(sounds like a couple of events I've been too :-))))  )

HL Ahlanna a'Becket of Wolfstar