[Ansteorra] Please share your favorite memory of getting Largess

Lori Campbell countesskat at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 22 09:19:32 PST 2008

I actually have two very special largess items, both from very early in
my SCA life, and I can't pick a favorite so I'll just share about
both... :)

One is a ring that I received for a song I sang at (I think) a
Mooneschadowe Guardian event. The very gracious Duchess Willow
presented me with a lovely golden ring that she took from her own
finger. She told everyone that it was because the song - "Burden of the
Crown" by Baldwin of Erabor - was one of her favorites, but I think she
also wanted to encourage me because it was obvious I was terrified.

The other gift is a teakwood staff that was gifted to me by Baron
Andreas Snowdragon because "every red-haired warrior girl should have a
weapon to carry..." (I wasn't very skilled with swords back then...
come to think of it... I wasn't very skilled with staves either) :)

I have to say that I loved both gifts for the sentiment, but even
moreso because they made me feel more like Kat MacLochlainn, the young
girl hoping to someday become a bard and a warrior. I guess that is
part of the magic of largess... to let us know that someone else sees
us as the persona we've chosen, or to let us know we've inspired them
in some small way.

I still have and cherish both items, but I plan to someday pass them
along, likely for the same reasons I received them.

~ Kat M.