[Ansteorra] Bunk Cot

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 28 10:05:01 PST 2008

> I was searching amazon.com yesterday and came across this
> item: a bunk bed cot. Wow. Perfect for my boys. Price is
> $100. Steep but okay.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F937R4/ref=wl_itt_dp?ie=U
> TF8&coliid
> =I3FJ7KI00UB3D&colid=3J0MPMQV28YXI
>
> Has anyone had experience with this cot? Is it sturdy? Good? Bad?
>
> Thanks muchly for answers.
>
> Estrill - mom of 2 rowdy boys who actually said they would sleep on it
> -- and didn't fight over top/bottom -- at least this time

Give them time, Estrill.  Give Them Time.  <VBEG>  One thing to
consider:  are your guys already used to stacked-bunk sleeping?  Grew up
doing it that way (from roughly age 6 to age 14), and it is not for
everyone.

I don't have a particular opinion on this particular bunk cot, but
considering what I know has been accomplished with dorm bunks:  you are
packing for a minivan, right?  An OSU-style platform bunk (like we saw /
Bushbaby had in the late '70s and early '80s) in cot width should be a
relative snap as roof-rack fodder, I would think.  Have not done it
myself, but I'm considering alternatives for my '99Escort Wagon -- and
4x4 corners, 2x6 rails with tenon&peg or slot&tab joints plus a solid
[or mostly so] platform should be minimal bulk and weight for what I
need.  Longer corners, second set of rails, and second platform (or
hammock!) shouldn't add that much... And for what I am envisioning, even
without the upper platform I'm leaning toward those taller corners and
upper rails to use for storage options.  (See also the recent exchanges
on the Moonschadowe list about tent heights / configurations, of
course...)

This also leaves open the possibility of things like the "Viking rope
bed" instead of or as a suspension system for a solid / semi-solid
platform, bed curtains, hanging rails for clothing, and what-have-you.

I would enjoy hearing other opinions.  I have been using a fairly
marvelous modern folding platform for my airbed as my "normal" sleeping
surface for some time, but it is not particularly suitable for
rough-duty and has begun to have mechanical issues as well (as long as I
can put two area rugs on top of it, I do okay; otherwise the uprights
are trying to poke through a little too much for complete comfort --
can't complain too much, has lasted longer and in more constant use than
originally intended by the manufacturer, I am sure!)

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

Mike C. Baker
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com  OR MCBaker216 at cs.com
   Buy my writings!:   http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen