[Ansteorra] We seem to be forgetting what it is bards *do*...

Peter Schorn peterschorn at pdq.net
Wed Jan 9 19:44:16 PST 2008

-----Original Message-----

Michael Gunter <countgunthar at hotmail.com> wrote:
>I think it has become obvious that adding fighting to such
>an endeavor would not be too popular or that it would face
>a dearth of attendees because of no fighting.

Bards praise heroes. How do we know heroes?  By the praise of bards.

Every fighter wants to be a hero.  But not every fighter has the skill of a
bard, to make his or her deeds remembered in story and song.

On the bard's list there is a thread about the "no shit, there I was"
stories fighters tell.  The consensus seems to be that it's honorable to
remember and celebrate the things these stories are about--but a shame no
one seems to want to do so in a period fashion.

Which suggests a proper (and period) theme for any Eisteddfod: turning the
rough, rude, boisterous tales of fighters into shining works of art that
will be as a lamp to those as yet ungotten and unborn.

And that's how we involve fighters: as patrons and sources of history and
anecdote for the bards. And as an audience for the works of those bards.

Fighters, would you hear yourselves praised as shoulder-companions of
Hengest?  Would you rally to your ring-giver as Finnsburg flamed?  Would you
stand with Roland as wave upon dark wave of Heathendom crashed upon the rock
of Charlemagne's knights at Roncevaux?  Would you fight street-to-street for
your beliefs--whichever they were--at Acre?

Well, be generous to a bard, and you will.  Even if it was just a
cattle-raid with old Llewarch or the Eighth Annual War for the Baroness's
Hot Water Bottle--it'll sound just as good.

Think about it.

--Cadfan